We are Switchmyenergy.com, a trading name of Utility Bidder Limited, company number 06954978 (‘we’, ‘us’, ‘our’). We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. We are registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office (“ICO”) with registration number ZB102403.
This notice sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us on www. www.switchmyenergy.com
How to ensure your data is private
We are committed to processing any personal data or information about its staff, contractors, partners, clients and potential clients in ways that comply with its legal and regulatory obligations, and to be clear about what it does with their personal information.
We do update this Policy from time to time so please do review this Policy regularly
Personal Data Collected
Utility Bidder (UB) are a broker of electricity, gas, water, merchant services and telecoms supply for businesses; mainly targeted at SME market. We provide competitive contract pricing and assist our SME clients in the set up or transfer of utility supply.
The data we collect to fulfil these services is almost entirely from business or non-personal individuals and will be processed for business purposes as a data processor. However, as we target the SME market a high proportion of the data we collect and the process will be from Sole Traders or Partnerships so we recognise our commitment to these clients under personal data regulations
The personal information which we use will be taken when:
- you enquire to use our services through contact with our staff or from one of our referring partners or website(s)
- you contact us or use our website or referring website(s)
- you are a recipient of our services and information
We may collect the following types of information:
- your name, business names and address, contact telephone number(s) and email address. For verification purposes, we may also collect your DOB
- information required to provide you with a service (eg. details of your existing utility supplier, contract expiry dates, meter readings and consumption, full electricity MPAN numbers and Gas MPRN details)
- website data including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data.
- details of our services that you have used.
All telephone calls that we receive and make are recorded. These recordings are for our legitimate interests or as needed as required for fulfilling supplier terms. The data is used for internal purposes to help us improve and deliver excellent customer service; for our own quality controls; to ensure fair and competitive offers are being made and as necessary evidence for the energy suppliers.
We do not collect any special category data for processing in our own right as a data controller.
Why do we collect this information?
- to provide you with utility services that you may request from us, one of our partners or referring website(s), or as under a contracted agreement
- to provide information about goods and services which we feel may be of interest to you
- for our legitimate interests in the relationship we have with you as a business contact or client
- to meet our legal and regulatory obligations as a broker of utility services through all referring partners and website(s)
How do we collect this information?
- directly from you: e.g. when you apply to receive our services or enquire on our website(s) or referring partner website(s)
- from recorded telephone calls; all calls are recorded as necessary for our energy suppliers or for our own quality controls and training
- directly from our referring partners or data brokers we make use of internet Pay Per Lead providers and referring partners to identify new or potential clients and also purchase data from data brokers
- from publicly available sources: eg. social media, internet services.
- from industry specialists such as ECOES and Gas “Access data” but not exclusively, half-hourly data readings and consumption, full electricity MPAN numbers and Gas MPRN details, Authorise Supply Capacities, and meter information including smart metering
We are committed to keeping your information up to date as far as is reasonably possible however if you believe that we have made an error, then please contact us as we have outlined below and we will use reasonable endeavours to correct it.
Keeping your information safe and secure
We are committed to ensuring that your personal information is secure and protecting it from being inappropriately or accidentally accessed, used, shared or destroyed, and against it being lost.
In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online and in paper form. We only provide access to your data to staff who require access.
Sharing your data with Third parties
Access to your personal information is only allowed when required by the law or is required as part our fulfilling our service obligations. We do not, and will never, sell your personal information to other third parties.
As a broker of electricity, gas, water, merchant services and telecoms supply for businesses when you become a client we will need to share your details with your new energy /utility provider as part of our contracted arrangements
For our general day-to-day data processing activities, we use the following to help us administer and monitor the services we provide:
- for database management of our clients, staff and office admin
- for payroll and financial accounting
- to share newsletters, promotional detail, industry news or other information that may be of interest to you
- to help us improve our services and database
- for credit checking and verification of client applications
- for the administration of our website(s) and customer interactions with UB
- for any legal guidance in the provision of our services
For full details of the third-party suppliers we use please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
It is our objective not to share data outside the EEA. However, in any circumstances where this may become necessary, it will be undertaken in full compliance with the legal requirements.
How long do we keep personal information?
We will only keep your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
In general terms, we will retain the data of our clients for the duration of the services provided under contract
For ex-clients or businesses that have not or yet subscribed to our services we will retain your data in line with any known utility contract expiry dates or up to a maximum of 60 months (representing the maximum utility supply contract)
For full details please contact email@example.com for a copy of our Retention Policy
Marketing & Market Research
We undertake a range of marketing activities using the data held within our database. This includes:
- Maintaining regular contact with our clients and prospect clients to keep them advised of industry news
- To share our newsletter or other promotional information
- We make use of Social media channels such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter for business promotion
- We may also make unsolicited approaches and call new potential contacts or business clients, using prospect information held within our records or using information drawn from publicly-available sources. These approaches are made in a fully compliant manner as governed by PECR (the Privacy of Electronic Communications Regulation), with the contacts being given the option to opt-out from such contact
We may have acquired your data from a data broker; where possible we will notify you that we are holding your data and how this will be used as expected of us as data controller.
Any changes to our marketing activities will be updated in this Policy and we will ensure that the activity we undertake will be compliant with the UK and European data protection regulations.
We, like most organisations, has a website and like most websites, we also use ‘Cookies’.
We may gather information about your general internet use by using a cookie file. Cookies are downloaded to your computer automatically and stored on the hard drive of your computer. They help us to improve our website and the service that we provide to you by collecting statistical data about your browsing actions and patterns; they do not identify you as an individual.
All computers have the ability to decline cookies. This can be done by activating the setting on your browser which enables you to decline the cookies. Please note that should you choose to decline cookies, you may be unable to access particular parts of our website.
Links to other websites
In addition, if you linked to our website from a third-party site, we cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of the owners and operators of that third-party site and recommend that you check the policy of that third-party site.
Controlling your personal information (Your Rights)
It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current. If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
Under certain circumstances, you have rights under UK Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA) and the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (GDPR) in relation to your personal information. You may have the right to:
- access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with data protection law.
- object to our processing, or ask us to restrict our processing of your personal information for any of the purposes listed in this policy, at any time.
- ask us to update and correct any out-of-date or incorrect personal information that we hold about you free of charge.
- ask us to erase or delete your personal information (in certain circumstances). We will do our best to respond to such requests, but these are subject to certain limitations such as legal requirements
- Request a transfer of your personal information (in certain circumstances).
If you wish to exercise any of the above rights or to review, verify, correct or question anything detailed in this policy or are unhappy with any aspect of how we use your data please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
or by writing to
Data Protection Officer
Utility Bidder Ltd
Corby Innovation Hub,
Corby, NN17 1NN
Alternatively, you can telephone us 0800 007 4001
You also have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk). We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the ICO, so please contact us in the first instance.
We are a registered Data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office our ICO registration number is: Z326950X
Cookies are small text files that can be used by websites to make a user’s experience more efficient.
The law states that we can store cookies on your device if they are strictly necessary for the operation of this site. For all other types of cookies, we need your permission.
This site uses different types of cookies. Some cookies are placed by third-party services that appear on our pages.
You can at any time change or withdraw your consent from the Cookie Declaration on our website.
Please state your consent ID and date when you contact us regarding your consent.
Your consent applies to the following domains: